Monday, January 21, 2008

Back in Delhi .....

It took a couple of days, but finally I heard the sound of a plane ...

I was lucky enough to get seat on the first plane out .. Air Deccan. The delay was due to the runway taking time to be cleared. Over 300 soldiers took 36 hours to clear the runway alone .... by hand! More were working on the taxiways. When we were ready to take off they lined the runway, huddled in groups, brooms and shovels in hand, and waved at us as we roared down the runway ... a very moving sight.

The Himalayas were absolutly stunning as we threaded our way out of the Leh valley. The snowfall was the biggest in many years, and that is great news not only for the Ladakhi's but the millions and millions who rely on the rivers that flow from the mountains.

I sat next to a Zanskari man on the plane who had walked out of the Zanskar via the Chaddar trek to Leh a few days before. He had fallen into the river twice he said ... my decision not to do the trek seems to have been a wise one!

I'm now back in Delhi, which, unlike my previous experiences is quite pleasant - much cooler now it's winter, and I'm much more comfortable with the chaos and craziness of the place.

I spent the morning at the big Appollo Hospital here in Delhi, having a major physical - long overdue - before heading off to Rajestan in a couple of days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home