Sunday, May 27, 2007

My rant ...

OK .. I've got to get this off my chest ...

As I was sitting above Everest Base Camp watching the streams of porters and yaks carrying all kinds of mountainering stuff (including filing cabinets, tables and chairs) in and out of the camp I couldn't help thinking what an expensive, self indulgent bizness this Everest climbing thing has become. A double amputee, a blind person and a second suimmitter who lost his hands and feet have all been up - Yet many still have to go .. and many die ... I heard of eight while I was in the area!

As I was thinking this six slim, fit looking young men - this year's Norwegian team come loping along the trail. They stop when some US trekkers clap and shake thier hands. Heroes! They were all wearing bright red lycra outfits ... so clean and bright - emblazoned with corporate logos whose names I won't dignify here - you know who u are. I thought they were race car drivers!!

Same, same, - but different I guess.

Unfortunatly much of the huge amounts of money spent on these expeditions - helicopters replacing porters, and all the hi tech equipment - comes from overseas.

Edmond Hillary has spent a lifetime improving the living conditions of the Nepali Sherpa ....

.....to be continued Gotta run folks ...

1 Comments:

Blogger nicole said...

That is really interesting. Imagine the real heroic things that could be done with that money!

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home