Friday, March 09, 2007

Pondicherry ....

Well today didn't start well ... but got a lot better ...

I took the overnight "ultra deluxe" bus from Kodaikanal to Pondicherry - think beat up greyhound with no air con - that was supposed to arrive in Pondicherry at 5:30 am. I got seated next to a young Indian jesus freak with elbows that poked me all night so I was kinda pleased when the bus arrived early ... at 4:30 AM.

I took a rickshaw to the hotel I'd picked out from the guide - it turned out to be full - so off I went to an unknown place he suggested. Turned out a bit pricey, but really quite swanky - in an Indian sort of way - air con - that's quiet and works, and I even got my own bathtub! Such luxury!

Pondicherry is becoming quite agreeable. Mainly because of the food I think. I rented a motorbike (really cheap here .. $3.50 a day) and found a place to stay for a few days from an ad on the bullitin board of a French coffee/shop - my own room, fan, and use of common kitchen and lounge for $6.00 a day. This afternoon I went to the Jardin Botanique and had a ride on the toy train that goes thru the park.

Tonight I treated myself to a lovley dinner at Le Rendezvous ... boullabaise, a great salad, coq au vin, french bread, finished off with a creme caramel and a cappuchino .... this is India?

The police have red french policeman pillbox hats and most of the westerners I've seen are either Asramites from the Sri Aurobindo Ashram, Auroville is just down the road) or French tourists.

But it's been a long day and I'm off to bed ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home