Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Happy 25th Birthday Nicole!!!

I have half an hour before my train leaves for the south, sitting in Hua Lamphong Station in Bangkok. I'm headed for Krabi .. the jumping off point for many of the better known Andaman Islands on the south west coast of Thailand. The train is an overnight one, and I've booked a second class A/C sleeper ... upper berth - the lower is supposed to be better but they were all booked .. so we will see.

A moment ago the station lights dimmed, everyone stood up and faced the big portrait of the king, and the National Anthem was played.

I'm really falling in love with many aspects of Thailand.

The food is equisite. Everything imaginable, and then some! I've yet to have a bad meal or something I didn't like. So many flavours .. lemon grass, ginger, garlic .. and many others I don't know. It doesn't matter if you are eating at the most humble street stall, where a bowl of noodles - with veggies and meat will set you back a whopping 20 baht (70 cent CDN) or splurging in a truly fancy place (maybe 200 baht for a meal ... the presentation is always equisite, the flavours distinctive - although i must confess that some chicken and rice dish I had this morning was so spicy it almost took my face off ... but it was sooo good!

Following my idyllic three days on Ko Sichang, I've spent the last couple of days in Bangkok ... getting my shots, doing a little shopping. Unfortuantly my efforts to get my cell phone up and running have failed ... the europeans here seem to have no problem, but the local SIM cards don't seem to work in mine. Internet is everywhere though .. so I may not bother.

It will be a bit of a relief to get out of Bangkok .. it really is an intense place! I have never seen such traffic! Abusy bustling place. Street stalls to mega malls .. and I mean MEGA, The ladies shoe department in one store was bigger than a floor of the Bay in midtown!

Fortuantly the new skytrain whisks you around above all the chaos ... a taxi ride across town could take an awful long time otherwise.

Well .. better run here - got a train to catch! ... stay tuned for the next installment!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home