Friday, February 03, 2006

The Dharmachef has landed ....

Gosh ... where to begin? Today was pretty good. Exceptional in fact.

After a cappuchino and fresh pastries, I caught a motorcycle taxi to the dock (a bit scary), took the boat to the island of Ko Si Chang where I rented a small motorbike and explored the island a bit before settling on a beach I liked. After a lovley lunch - stirfried veggies with fresh seafood, it was time for a little snooze ... and then a Thai Masssage on the beach (a bit of a cross between extreme physio, accupressure and assisted yoga). Before heading back to the ferry I visited one of the many Wats (Buddhist temples) which has a number of caves in which there are hermit monks. Then it was the 6:00 PM sunset ferry back to Si Racha where I'm staying in a hotel built on stilts over the sea.

After a shower I went shopping in a futuristic mall .... fed an elephant on the street sugarcane (what a trip .. such sensitive trunks .. they really connect with you) .... chickened out trying the fried insects (4 kinds to cheoose from yet) from street vendors, and settled for springrolls and noodles in the market. After a little shopping in the mall ... (very futuristic - bout the size of midtown .. but way more modern and swanky in parts) On the way home to my hotel I stopped at this tres chic internet cafe and french bakery and decided to set up this blog.

Thailand is really incredible ... full of surprises ... contrasts ... and magic. My first impressions of Thais have been of extremly friendly, respectful and aware people.

I arrived last Monday in Bankok ... 18 hours of flying ... very tiring but great service on Cathay Pacific. I treated myself to a soft landing in a comfortable hotel. I got my shots at a very modern travel clinic - way cheaper than Canada and very thoroug. I'm getting all that was reccomended - typoid, Japanese Encephalitis, Hep a and b, tetanus and rabies. I have to go back for followup shots on Tuesday, so decided to escape bustling Bankok for Si Racha and the island of Ko Si Chang for a few days.

Well the cafe is closing ... so that's all for now folks!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home