Sunday, April 02, 2006

Hey Andrew! Over here!!!!

I had been in Nha Trang for less than an hour, checked into my hotel .. and decided to check out my new surrounding when I heard my self paged from the Bia Hoi across the street.

It turned out to be Loughland and his sister Bridgit and freind Kelly, with whom I'd spent an enjoyable day touring the Tombs of the Emporers in Hue almost week ago ... and an even more enjoyable couple of evenings in Madame Thu's Travellers Bar, Cafe on Thu Wheels ....

I suppose I should explain what a Bia Hoi is ... a keg of beer on the sidewalk .. or a little hole in the wall, a plastic tube to serve it into two litre plastic jugs (like javex bottles) a few glasses and tiny plastic stools .. instant bar. Sit down and have a beer and mix with the locals .... fun, fun, fun. Cost? 6000 dong a litre .... (.40cents canadian)

I spent the last four days in Hoi An, a charming old french town on the river, 4 kms from a great beach. Their speciality is tailoring ... so I got myself a who new wardrobe .. to go with my svelte (ok not quite so fat) new figure., along with a couple of pairs of shoes .. all for way less than I'd pay for cheap stuff at Giant Tiger!

Vietnam is soooo differenct from Laos and Thailand. The energy of these folks ... some of the most entraprenaurial, hardworking totally indefatigable people I've ever met. The hassle factor is high ... everyone wants to sell something .... and it seems everyine has something to sell .. and they can be very persistant. I thought I'd avoid all the sweet young girls trying to get me to their mothers tailor shop inb Hoi An by renting a bicycle ... no way ... cant' go anywhere and theres a motorcycle alongside ... with that sweet young girl telling you to come visit her mothers tailor shop ... really good prices .. just come and look ....

That being said, the service here is superb! A feeling that folks really want you to be happy ... really care. Despite the hustle, the hospitality I've seen has been real, warm and genuine ... people want you to be here .. (spend money) .. and to come back. Everyone it seems wants to talk to you.

The Hotel in Hoi An for example ... for $18.00 US a night I got a lovley room, a/c, balcony, pool, bathtub, sattelite tv, fruit basket in the room refilled each day, free internet, breakfast, drinks arond the pool 6:30 to 7:30 ... and a silk latern when I checked out .... but the best was the staff ... they remebered you by name, and were so freindly and courteous. ... That's competition for you ...

Vietnam is on the move. This country has suffered so much .. the bomb craters are everwhere ... people my age with no arms or legs ... people with birth defects caused by agent orange ... many historic sites obliterated ... many areas still no go because of UXO ... but it's recovering ... boy is it recovering ... unstoppable methinks. Incredible engineeering .... I passed thru a tunnel on the way to Hoi An over 6km long, new bridges, buildings ... lot's of change.

Gosh what a stupid war that was .. for the Americans to ever think they could win!

I was speaking to an Australian guy in his sixties at the next table in a restaurant .... he was so full of emotion as he was describing how they used to refer to the Vietnamese as Gooks .... and how much he now admires their spirit, and incredible hospitality to us westerners.

I'm getting spoiled here .. will be hard to come home in some ways.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home